- 1 pound elbow noodles
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups milk whole, 2%, or 1%
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fill the large saucepan with water. Set at high temperature and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni; cook until al dente. Drain well.
- In the large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and mustard powder and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and whisk in cheese until melted.
- Pour cooked pasta into the cheese sauce and stir well to combine. Serve hot.